Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Modding: Spigot

So I left DC earlier last week. One of the glaring problems I had with that was emptying my watercooling loop. It made a total mess which took a while to clean up. So, on the train, I thought of an idea. A spigot. With a few parts I might be able to get the cleanest way possible to drain a loop!

Here's the result:

It's a simple part. It's just a miniature valve (left) and the female end of a quick-release fitting.

Here is the male end:
And a closeup:
This male end, however, is too big to put the front of my case back on, so I had to once again bust out the trusty, dusty dremel tool.

Here is the work in progress. Just a simple, rough-cut ring where the male end will stick out (hah... hah...)


And it doesn't look half bad.


And here is the spigot attached in all its glory. Now my computer can happily piss away whenever I have a need to drain its loop. After I pull out one of the 45 deg. elbow barbs inside my loop I'll be sticking it on the end of this to make it less projectile-esque. Now, there is almost no chance of getting water on any of my parts while draining it, and I don't have to undo any of the already-secure clamps. Boom.


I think the next thing I'll be putting in this thing will be a fill port through the top. That way, filling this thing up will be just as easy as draining it. All I'll have to do is take the top off and unscrew a cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment