Monday, November 11, 2013

New Project: Obelisk

Been a while, but at long last have a new project on the way.

Unfortunately, it will have to be worked on in phases. I plan on getting into the more serious side of modding: creation. From scratch I will be building a TV stand with a NAS built into it, viewable to the world. I already have the designs far along, and as of tonight... the parts for the NAS are on the way!

For now it shall be a modless project, built into an adequate case and air-cooled. Parts list follows:

* Fractal Design Define Mini
* ASUS E45M1-M Pro
* 6 x WD Red 3TB
* Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM
* SanDisk USB to run the OS (FreeNAS) and a discreet delivery system
* Corsair GS600 PSU

CHANGE OF PLANS!

Apparently I misunderstood the amount of SATA connectors for the E45m1-M PRO so on my hunt for a different motherboard I was inspired to go even further with my NAS project.

Now it will be a server. The combination of NAS-like file sharing, RAID backup, and the big thing: it will play video on its own. I feel that making everything done in a single box rather than hoping everything can flawlessly connect to my network (I don't trust TVs). So instead of a simple NAS, it will be itself a small computer to handle not just data storage but other server related tasks, of which there quite a few that interest me.

With that, the components are changed as such:

* E45M1-M PRO ---> MAXIMUS VI GENE
+ Intel Pentium Processor G3220
+ GTX 560 ti
* SanDisk USB ---> PCIe SSD (running the new OS: FreeBSD, another Linux platform), plugs into a special PCIe slot on the new motherboard which the industry believes will be the new standard for SSDs (SATA will be limited to 6 gb/s for a long time, apparently).


Not only will this all make the computer more powerful and capable, but when I eventually get to making the TV stand, I will be able to watercool all of the components (couldn't watercool the GPU/CPU combo of previous mobo) and thus open it up to overclocking and more server capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment